Purchasing an electric vehicle comes with numerous advantages. One of those benefits is the ability to save money by driving a car that doesn’t require frequent gasoline fill-ups. According to Consumer Reports, electric vehicle owners can expect to save an average of $800 to $1,000 per year compared to gas-powered vehicle owners. However, to make the most out of this investment, drivers need to ensure their vehicles and chargers are both working properly.
Corbin Electrical Services, Inc., which specializes in installing electric vehicle chargers in residential and commercial locations throughout New Jersey, discusses how you can determine if your vehicle’s charger is working at an optimal level.
How to Identify a Problem with Your Electric Vehicle Charger
Understanding the ins and outs of your vehicle’s charger can be difficult given its complexity. And this can make troubleshooting by yourself a tall order. Luckily, there are a few telltale signs that indicate a problem might be present with your electric vehicle’s socket or your charging station, such as:
- Slow charging speeds: The charger you have on hand typically determines how quickly you can expect a full charge. Customers using AC Level 2 charging stations, like the ones Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. installs, can refuel their vehicles in about five to six hours.
- Not achieving peak charge rate: If you notice your electric car isn’t reaching its maximum charge rate, this may be an indication that a problem needs to be resolved.
- Difficulties reaching your vehicle’s range potential: Every electric vehicle has an estimated maximum range that it can reach on a full charge. This range is dependent on the vehicle manufacturer and its battery. If your car isn’t achieving its projected range consistently, there may be an issue with the charging station or your vehicle’s charging port.
- Intermittent issues when connected to a charger: If your electric vehicle is only having charging issues when connected to your home charging station, this may indicate that the problem lies somewhere within your setup.
Top Reasons for Vehicle Charging Issues
Having a charging unit that is not operating at optimal levels can be very frustrating for drivers who rely on their car, truck, or SUV to get to work, school, and other locations daily. These issues can cause your vehicle’s performance to suffer and can likely result in an inconvenience to you. Common reasons for insufficient refueling include:
- Faulty charging cables: If a charging cable is damaged, it can affect refueling performance. Be sure to inspect your charger’s cables to make sure there are no tears or rips present.
- Using the wrong connector to charge your vehicle: Since there is no universal connector for every model, you may find yourself using the wrong style. Using the incorrect connection may be the reason why your vehicle isn’t charging well.
- Malfunctioning charging stations: If your cords are in pristine condition and you are using the correct connector for your vehicle, the issue may lie within the charging station itself. If this is the case, a professional will need to examine your equipment to accurately diagnose the matter. Keep in mind that if you are experiencing charging issues at a different station, your car or truck’s electric port may be the source of the problem. In this instance, you will need to call your vehicle’s manufacturer to have it serviced.
Regardless of where the issue lies, it is important to trust the expertise of a certified technician. Attempting to correct the problem on your own can be dangerous and may lead to injuries. It can also potentially turn a minor issue into a major repair expense.
Fix Your Electric Vehicle’s Charger with Corbin Electrical Services, Inc.
If you notice a problem regarding your electric vehicle’s charging capabilities, call the professionals at Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. Our years of experience have allowed us to secure partnerships with leading brands in the electric car industry, such as Tesla and Qmerit. Also, we sell and install whole-home generator systems to ensure your vehicle stays charged in the most crucial times. For more information about our electric car charger installation services and our services areas throughout New Jersey, contact us today.
Corbin Electrical Services – “We Generate Peace of Mind”