Given their significantly fewer parts, electric vehicle powertrains are much easier to maintain compared to internal combustion engines. However, that does not mean electric vehicles do not require any maintenance or upkeep at all. To ensure your vehicle is running at optimal levels, there are a few routine things you can do. Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. discusses the best practices for ensuring your electric-powered car, truck, or SUV is in proper working order.
Electric Vehicle Service Solutions
Having a regularly scheduled maintenance routine can increase your electric vehicle’s longevity. While the components may vary from fuel-powered vehicles, there are several key services to consider, such as:
The most crucial component to your electric vehicle’s performance and lifespan is its battery. How well you maintain this part is as important as your charging habits because they will directly affect your vehicle’s condition. Clients can ensure their battery is well maintained by doing the following:
- Continuously keep the battery at a 20% to 80% charge: By keeping your vehicle’s power source within this range, you reduce the risk of overcharging. This can result in premature battery degradation.
- Access adequate charging stations: Your charging practice plays a crucial role in your car’s battery life. Drivers who have access to the correct electric car charger can increase the lifespan of their vehicle’s battery. If you do not currently have an appropriate charging station, one can be installed at your residential
- Avoid parking your electric vehicle in extreme temperatures: Subjecting your electric vehicle to extreme conditions, such as scorching or freezing temperatures, can affect the battery’s range. However, storing your vehicle in a garage between uses can help.
Electric vehicles have a unique braking system compared to the traditional vehicles on the road. It uses motor resistance to slow the automobile down. This friction is turned into power for your electric vehicle, as energy is sent back into the battery. Typically, this type of braking system lasts much longer. Electric vehicle owners should have their brakes inspected every 22,000 mi or for every two years of ownership.
Just as you would for any other vehicle, be sure to schedule routine tire rotations. This service helps make sure they wear evenly and prevents your electric car or truck from favoring one side, or pulling, as you drive. If you notice this tendency in your vehicle, it’s imperative to have your tires rotated and realigned, as it can damage the suspension system. A good rule is to have the tires rotated and the air pressure checked every six months.
With a heavy reliance on modern technology, electric vehicle manufacturers are always looking to improve upon their products. Manufacturers can install these performance upgrades through timely software updates. Generally, this service comes at no cost to the vehicle’s owner, but it is your responsibility to be on the lookout for them.
Why Are Eclectic Cars Generally Easier to Maintain?
An electric-powered vehicle is not only better for the environment but also easier on your wallet. One of the biggest advantages to owning an electric model is the less work it takes to maintain it compared to fuel-powered models, which results in more money in your pocket. It’s estimated that electric vehicle owners will spend up to 40% less on maintaining their cars compared to gas-powered vehicles. Some of the reasons why it’s easier to maintain an electric vehicle include:
- Regular oil changes are not needed: Because there is no integral combustion engine, no oil changes are needed for an electric car.
- Fewer fluids used: The only fluids many electric vehicles need include brake fluid, windshield washer fluid, and coolant.
- Better warranties: With fewer components than a traditional car, truck, or SUV, an electric vehicle’s warranty is more inclusive. What’s more, these warranties cover the most expensive and vital component – the battery. Federal regulations mandate that electric cars are backed with a battery warranty that covers at least eight years or 100,000 mi of usage.
Keep Your Electric Vehicle in Proper Working Order
Ensure your electric vehicle continues performing at satisfactory levels in partnership with Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. This kind of vehicle is an investment, and you can make the most of it by installing an electric vehicle charger at your home or commercial business. For more information about our services, contact us today.
Corbin Electrical Services – “We Generate Peace of Mind”