If you’re looking for a way to enhance your home’s outdoor areas and illuminate your property after dark, landscape lighting is the ideal solution. Landscape lighting is an attractive alternative to more industrial-style fixtures and elevates your yard’s curb appeal. But for it to be done right, landscape lighting installation must be rooted in artistic principles. Here, Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. discusses how to take an artistic approach to landscape lighting.
Picking Areas for Landscape Lighting
It all begins by identifying which areas of your residential or commercial property you’d like to illuminate, and the possibilities are truly endless. Some homeowners love the look of lights lining their driveways and pathways, while others desire to create the perfect mood lighting for hosting evening get-togethers in the backyard. Whatever their vision might be, Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. is here to help people throughout New Jersey with developing an aesthetically sound plan and executing the installation. Common areas where we add landscape lighting features include:
- Patios and decks
- Pool and grill areas
- Front yards and backyards
- Gardens and shrubbery
- Driveways and pathways
- Any other desired outdoor areas
Choosing Lighting Types
Besides technique, the type of lighting you choose can also influence the ambiance you create in a landscape. Two popular lighting options are LED and color, as each gives outdoors settings a distinct vibe. LED lights illuminate spaces about90% more efficiently than traditional incandescent light bulbs and work well with several indoor and outdoor applications. You can use LED lights with numerous landscaping features, including:
Color is another crucial aspect of lighting because each hue evokes a distinct emotion. Consider the common associations people make with different colors when designing the lighting arrangement in your landscape:
- Red: Passionate and strong
- Orange: Quirky and energizing
- Yellow: Joyful and tranquil
- Green: Hopeful and renewing
- Blue: Cool and inviting
- Purple: Royal and melancholy
- Brown: Relaxed and wholesome
- White: Innocent and peaceful
- Black: Elegant and sophisticated
Forming an Outdoor Lighting Design
The next phase of the process entails turning to a trusted professional like Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. Our team will consult with the homeowner at their residence to nail down blueprints for the types of lights, their brightness levels, and all of the electrical components needed to bring the design to life. If you’re not sure where to start or need some inspiration, the following landscape lighting techniques are very popular – and for good reason:
- Moonlighting: This involves installing a light fixture somewhere up high, like in a tree or on a flagpole, and angling it downwards, creating a similar effect to natural moonlight.
- Wall washing: For more of a glow, wall washing places spotlights or floodlights near the façade that accentuates your home’s best features and provides an evenly distributed ambiance.
- Highlighting: Using floodlights or spotlights, these fixtures are installed a few feet away from the base of a focal point in your landscape, such as a tree, statue, birdbath, or waterfall. The light points upward at this feature, illuminating it to draw the eye to that area of your yard.
- Silhouetting: Typically done with floodlights, this technique creates a sharp silhouette of the chosen feature, which appears on an adjacent wall of your home, patio, garage, or shed. In this case, the lights are installed behind the feature.
- Shadowing: Though similar to silhouetting, shadowing yields a more dramatic appearance. It involves placing lights in front of the chosen feature. The goal is to focus light on an adjacent wall by letting it shine through the feature.
Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. also offers landscape lighting fixtures with many styles and features, making it easy to customize your design and ensure you receive the functionality you’re looking for.
Achieve the Artistic Landscape Lighting of Your Dreams
Ready to take on landscape lighting projects of all sizes, Corbin Electrical Services, Inc. is here to help homeowners across New Jersey achieve their outdoor aesthetic goals. For more information, contact our team today, and be sure to ask about current specials.
Corbin Electrical Services – “We Generate Peace of Mind”